Video is not an organizational goal – but it can help you achieve your goals.
– Michael Hoffman, CEO, See3 Communications
We had the pleasure of hosting Michael Hoffman, CEO, of See3 Communications for a series of excitng webinars with the Darim Online Learning Network for Synagogues. Nearly 40 participants from 28 organizations participated in “The Age of YouTube: An Introduction to Online Video.”
What Weve Been Hearing
Synagogues are expressing an increased interest in using online videos in various aspects of their work, including fundraising, community building, documenting community moments, and project-based learning. Some of our organizations are just beginning to explore the potential of video, others are in the midst of experimenting, while several congregations are already actively integrating video into their communitys strategic plans.
- There is a growing awareness of the power of the medium to communicate community values and events.
- Video can be used to tell a synagogues story in a powerful, visual style.
- Synagogues are interested in employing multiple media to connect with members and potential members.
What Weve Been Learning
Congregations are looking at more comprehensive strategies for communicating and fostering community online. There are many reasons for including online video in your organizations work and strategic plan. These include, but are not limited to the following:
- Video is portable its online, downloadable, shareable; members can help market your community by sharing with their other social networks.
- It can help broaden a communitys reach and audience.
- Video delivers your communitys message and helps build relationships.
- Video captures significant moments in your communitys history.
- Online video makes your community accessible by bringing community to members who can access activities, events, and services that they might not otherwise be able to attend
- Video can be used to augment synagogue websites and blogs
- Video can highlight targeted campaigns
- Learners – students, youth groups, adults – can develop video projects to showcase their work
Be sure to check out See3’s Guide to Online Video for more tips and techniques.
Examples of Video Hosting Sites:
BlipTV hosting service for online video
TeacherTube video hosting service for teachers and students
UStreamTV hosting service for livestreaming
Vimeo hosting service
YouTube: Nonprofit Program
Darim Online Resources: How Do I Add Video to My Site? for Darim Online members
Archives of the recent webinars, “The Age of YouTube: An Introduction to Online Video for Congregations,” as well as previous webinars are available to members of the Darim Online Learning Network. Access to the archives and other webinar-related material can be found on the Darim Online website in Dirah, under “Learning Network Info.”
Not yet a member of the Darim Online Learning Network? Click here for membership information for your organization and to register.
Coming up… Community Strategies for Integrating Online Video